Today I signed the Australia-Vietnam Plan of Action 2016-19 with HE Mr Pham Binh Minh, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam.
The Plan of Action outlines the practical steps that our two countries are taking to implement the Enhanced Comprehensive Partnership signed in 2015.
The Plan of Action outlines how Australia and Vietnam will collaborate in the areas of defence, security, economic and development cooperation.
Both countries are also focused on ways to promote trade and investment, innovation and measures to improve gender equality.
Highlights of the Plan of Action include:
- Australia and Vietnam working together to promote regional stability and prosperity through the East Asia Summit and APEC;
- The commencement of annual high-level consultations on agriculture;
- Deepening cooperation between education and research institutions; and
- Strengthening women's representation in leadership and management roles.
In our bilateral meeting, Mr Minh and I discussed our shared interests in regional security and prosperity, our strong cooperation in regional fora – such as ASEAN, the East Asia Summit and APEC – as well as our broad-based bilateral relationship.
I hosted a lunch for Mr Minh with a number of young Australian-Vietnamese entrepreneurs, which demonstrated the diverse and dynamic interests we share.
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555