During my visit to Islamabad and Lahore, I confirmed that the Australian Government will provide ongoing humanitarian assistance to support thousands of internally displaced people in Pakistan, the majority of whom are women and children.
The Australian Government will continue to work closely with Pakistan to generate sustainable growth and employment through trade and investment, improvements to agricultural productivity, water resource management and industry.
We will also continue to invest in the people of Pakistan through health, education and women’s empowerment initiatives, and will promote long term stability through humanitarian assistance in response to natural disasters.
Australia’s $24 million package of assistance will include:
- $10 million to support long-term rehabilitation and stabilisation of areas affected by floods and conflict;
- $9.9 million to support Pakistan’s efforts to facilitate regional trade and investment;
- $3 million humanitarian assistance to assist internally displaced people in partnership with the United Nations World Food Programme;
- $1.1 million to improve nutrition for women and children; and
- $200,000 to support a new women’s economic empowerment program focused on skills training for marginalised women and girls.
- Minister's office: (02) 6277 7500
- DFAT Media Liaison: (02) 6261 1555